National Security In The Context Of Emerging Global Threats
1. The ‘Defence Seminar’ is an annual event that was initiated in 2011. Since its inception, it has established itself as a round-table of intellectual interaction to identify and discuss geo strategic and security matters in the global, regional and internal context as well as share expertise on ways to foster collective strategy to meet such issues at a common standing. The first seminar, organized by the Sri Lanka Army accommodated over 160 delegates from 60 nations. The effort of the Sri Lanka Army showcased its ability to organize an international forum on civil-military cooperation at this magnitude. It should be noted here that a gathering of over 350 dignitaries including 148 delegates from 55 countries was hosted in the previous seminar organized in 2014.
2. In light of the proceedings of the previous seminars, the ‘Defence Seminar – 2015’, themed as ‘National Security in the context of Emerging Global Threats’ will be conducted as a 02 day seminar on 01 and 02 September 2015. This seminar aims to be a forum to provide intellectual connectivity and to seek global, regional and sub-regional strategic partnerships. To meet this end, the seminar plans to convene prominent national and international scholars, think tanks and diplomats to engage in a stimulating intellectual interaction.
3. The seminar ponders that we may be living in an era of “persistent conflict”, where the future trends of conflict would be determined by protracted confrontations among state, non-state, and individual actors. The use of violence might be justified to achieve political, religious and other ideological ends. The forum intends to provide a platform to enhance knowledge on the entire gamut of the global security environment and thereby confront a number of challenges which may emerge as threats in future.
4. The seminar would proceed through carefully sequenced sessions comprising of presentations and intellectual panel discussions, participant-oriented group discussions to optimize the discourse on national security issues and emerging global threats. As part of the exercise, it identifies a range of topics related to the challenges posed by natural disaster, maritime security in the Indian Ocean, terrorism, international criminal organizations, dynamic and volatile regional, global and strategic security environment and the vulnerabilities of states.
5. Set in the backdrop and splendor of the Indian Ocean, the seminar will be hosted at the Galadari Hotel located in the heart of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The organizing skills of the Army blended with the tropical hospitality of Galadari hotel, guarantees a comfortable stay and intellectual environment appropriate to the seminar.
6. The Sri Lanka Army, founder and custodian of the Defence Seminar forum, is pleased to officially affirm the conduct of Defence Seminar 2015 and extends an invitation to academics, practitioners and decision makers on the subject, to share their valuable knowledge and experience with this forum.