SRI LANKA: CHALLENGES TO A RISING NATION
Fourth in sequel of annual seminars which began in year 2011, ‘Defence Seminar’ has followed a trajectory of intellectual interaction that brought to the fore issues ranging from defeat of terrorism and post conflict recovery to national stability and its effects on regional security. Defence Seminar has now grown in to an internationally accepted forum for interaction on matters of national, regional and international security.
Inspired by a renewed sense of national purpose as a result of peace and stability, Sri Lanka has shifted momentum towards development and prosperity. A pragmatic foreign policy and vibrant national development policy have instituted enormous change across the nation. The national security goals too have been realigned to meet new challenges and further national interest. The judicious and innovative employment of the military in national development related to sea, air and land activities are also some of the contributors to the cause.
Defence Seminar 2014, under the theme ‘Sri Lanka: Challenges to a Rising Nation’ is to provide the forum for yet another learning and interactive experience on areas of national wellbeing and prosperity along with its related challenges and concerns. It would also broaden the scope of the forum to include a candid view of regional and global partners on Sri Lanka’s rise. Configured into three days from 18th to 20th August 2014, the seminar progresses through carefully sequenced sessions comprising of presentations and panel discussions designed to optimize discourse and learning on a range of topics dear to national development, prosperity and security in a regional and global context. The intent is to utilize Sri Lanka’s experience as a means to pursue productive engagement on the aforesaid areas. Some of the most eminent personalities and intellectuals including politicians, senior government officials, scholars and security experts will enrich the forum. Interactions will not be confined to the seminar hall but extend to ‘after work’ social gatherings in pleasant and friendly environments.
Set in the backdrop and splendour of the Indian Ocean, the seminar will be hosted at the Galadari hotel situated in the heart of Colombo Sri Lanka. The impeccable organizing skills of the Army blended with the tropical hospitality of Galadari hotel, guarantees a comfortable stay and intellectual environment appropriate to the seminar.
The Sri Lanka Army, founder and custodian of the Defence Seminar forum is pleased to officially affirm the conduct of Defence Seminar 2014 and extends an invitation to academics, practitioners and decision makers on the subject, to share their valuable knowledge and experience with this forum.
The successful outcome of the seminar, hinges on the achievement of the following aims and objectives.
- Core objective is to utilize Sri Lanka’s rise after conflict as the focal point to generate discussion, fuse learning, exchange ideas, share knowledge and experiences and interact on matters commensurate to the theme.
- Showcase Sri Lanka’s progress in development and opportunities available for regional and international cooperation.
- Examine the peace dividends that nations reap after successful termination of conflict in the context of political, social, economic, cultural and spiritual progress.
- Discuss the intricacies of shifting from threat based defence policy to capability based defence policy along with the related doctrinal changes to meet new national security demands in a peaceful and development oriented environment. The focus would be on how island nations manage national security.
- Seek, common solutions to common problems arising from issues of national development and survival.
- Promote intellectual connectivity for future reference in areas of mutual interest which would add to longer term professional relationships.